Provide a list of helpful reference books.
The following list consists of reference books I found helpful (after spending hours searching on-line and in book stores). There are many more books out there and I certainly welcome others to add to this list. The list is broken down into two categories – Writing (Fiction) and Editing.
Writing (the craft) -
- Write Away by Elizabeth George
- Write Great Fiction – Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell
Other Writers Digest Books I have not yet read because they are not available on the Kindle -
- Revision And Self-Editing, Description & Setting, Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint, Write Great Fiction – Dialogue
Editing (the writer’s desk reference) -
- Grammar Desk Reference, Lutz & Stevenson
- A Writer’s Reference, Hacker
- Writer’s Thesaurus, Oxford American
- Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Browne & Kind
- The Elements of Style, Strunk and White